- young people
- Cyberbullying help available 24/7 from Kids Helpline
Cyberbullying help available 24/7 from Kids Helpline
Kids Helpline would like to assure young people and families across Australia that it is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for telephone and online counselling support.
Children and young people can contact Kids Helpline about anything, including the big issues: when they’re being cyberbullied, feeling unsafe, are being abused, or feel like hurting themselves and others.
Kids Helpline’s website also has tips for young people and parents and carers about cyberbullying.
For young people: https://kidshelpline.com.au/teens/issues/cyberbullying
For parents and carers – what to do if it’s your child:
- Take the time to talk to them. Be open to listening and understanding their experience of cyberbullying.
- Teach them that cyberbullying is never ok
- Reassure them that they're loved
- Report the activity to the relevant social media platform. If this does not help, you can lodge a complaint via the safety website eSafety
- Support them to speak to another trusted adult or counsellor if they want to
- Advise them to avoid opening emails or responding to cyberbullies
- Respect that they may not want to limit online access as this can seem like a punishment and lead to greater social isolation
- Most importantly, reassure them they are not alone and that help is always available.
Go to https://kidshelpline.com.au/parents/issues/cyberbullying for more about how parents, carers and others can help.
Primary schools are also able to access specialised cyberbullying education for children via Kids Helpline @ School Digital Thumbprint supported by Optus. To find out more see https://kidshelpline.com.au/schools/sessions/cyberbullying
Kids Helpline is Australia’s only free, private and confidential 24/7 phone and online counselling service specifically for children and young people aged 5 to 25 years. FREE call 1800 55 1800 or www.kidshelpline.com.au
Kids Helpline would like to remind media to include Kids Helpline contact details at the end of coverage and articles. Kids Helpline counsellors are also available for interview.
Regan Flor email@example.com 0423 843 786
Tracey Gillinder firstname.lastname@example.org 0434 077 478