- yourtown Prize Homes
- FREE! New Comic About Bullying
FREE! New Comic About Bullying
“Being an upstander is not just about looking out for others but modelling the behaviours we want our children and young people to have,” he said.
“What’s encouraging is that young people also revealed they are keen to be upstanders. They told us we need to ‘encourage people to stop being bystanders and actually do something if they witness it in action or suspect it’. It’s crucial that we teach our kids how and not just by giving them information but by leading by example.”
But it can be tough to know how to talk with children and young people about bullying and being an upstander.
That's why we've created this free comic!
What else can you do?
It can be tough knowing how to broach the topic of bullying with a young person who may be experiencing it.
Here are Kids Helpline’s 5 top tips for adults who want to talk with kids about bullying:
- Try to be open to hearing their point of view and listening rather than jumping straight to solutions
- Talk regularly about school, their friendships and anything that might be troubling them
- Ask them directly if they're being bullied and let them know you want to work together to help stop it
- Discuss your own experiences of being bullied and how you got through it
- Encourage them to call Kids Helpline and talk to a counsellor