Dealing with Christmas stress
Unfortunately Christmas can be a particularly difficult and stressful time for many children and young people, especially those who are dealing with a family separation.
COMMUNICATION IS KEY
After 23 years of speaking with children and young people, Kids Helpline knows planning and communication are key to ensuring a happy and smooth-sailing Christmas for the whole family.
Our top five tips for taking the pressure off children this Christmas:
- Plan ahead so everyone knows where they will be during the holidays
- Involve all the family in planning
- Encourage children to talk about their feelings or concerns
- Take some time out on Christmas Day to see how children are going
- Provide extra support for children who may be dealing with conflict or family separation at this time.
Remember that love, commitment, patience and time can overcome most difficulties faced by families during the festive season. Wendy Protheroe, Kids Helpline General Manager
If young people want to talk to someone they can call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or use email or web counselling services.
Adults can visit the Hot Topics section on the Kids Helpline website for more tips on Managing Christmas.
And don’t forget to subscribe to keep up to date with the latest BoysTown news.