What is it?
A specialist Indigenous training and employment centre which provides pre-employment training, mentoring and placement programs for Indigenous job seekers.
Who is it for?
Unemployed Indigenous job seekers in South East Queensland.
In partnership with the Federal Government and GenerationOne, Kingston Vocational Training and Employment Centre provides tailored pre-employment training, personal mentoring and job placement for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
We work with employers to identify their labour needs and to secure placement opportunities. We then provide practical work preparation programs to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people meet employer requirements, together with ongoing personal support, mentoring and coaching to help them achieve results.
We want to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people meet employer requirements, together with ongoing personal support, mentoring and coaching to help them achieve results.
Specific assistance to participants includes:
- Personalised Job Pathways Plan
- Specialist services to overcome obstacles to engagement in learning and work
- Access to job vacancies negotiated directly with local employers
- Job specific work preparation training, tailored directly to the requirements of employers who are providing job opportunities
- Support from Indigenous Mentors
- Literacy/numeracy skills training
- Help in connecting with the local Indigenous community and building social networks which promote pride in cultural identity and heritage
- Access to work experience in local industry
- Help acquiring documents, purchasing clothing and equipment and obtaining licences
- Providing the employer with cultural awareness training
- Help with relevant financial assistance
- Post placement support to ensure job retention.
"Nothing is more rewarding than to see someone's life turn around by gaining full time employment. Generational unemployment is real, closing the Gap through employment and training is a realistic obtainable target."